Bike Assembly Technician / Mechanic Assistant (Full Time and Part Time)
We are looking for an awesome mechanic assistant to wrench on bikes in our shop! This is an entry level position with minimal prior experience necessary.
We value individuals who can work as part of a team, as well as take initiative to best serve our valued customers. We train our techs using the latest and greatest industry standards, as well as specialized techniques that our seasoned mechanics have perfected over many years. Our goal is to be efficient and thorough, giving our customers the very best experience, knowing they can trust that their bike is 100% safe and has received meticulous care while in our hands.
We believe that working with our awesome staff and customer base is a perk in and of itself, but let’s be honest, we also all enjoy the sweet discount on bikes and accessories which all employees are eligible for. If you are passionate about cycling, working on bikes, and serving the cycling community, and you’re interested in finding a work home with a growing team of great people, then we’d love to have you join our crew at Blue Ridge Cyclery!
- After completion of in-house training, must be able to consistently perform within Blue Ridge Cyclery’s quality standards for repairs and builds.
- Bike builds on bikes valued up to $1000 retail value
- Attends regular trainings to advance to next technician level
- Assist customers in an enthusiastic and courteous manner, providing a “wow” customer experience
- Properly intake service work including correctly creating work orders in our computer system, scheduling an appropriate number of repairs, and completing those repairs in a timely manner (under promise and over deliver!)
- Guide customers through their product selection without bias
- Communicate to the bike shop manager any needed repair parts, including those under warranty
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of all available merchandise to effectively advise customers with accurate information and best recommendations, keeping current as new product lines are introduced
- Assist with bike sales and any other sales floor duties as needed and as requested by bike shop manager
The ideal candidate is:
- An individual with strong mechanical aptitude and an eagerness to learn
- Knowledgeable about bicycles and has either some previous bike mechanic experience and/or a passion for learning more
- An individual with a basic understanding of accessory installation and quality control procedures
- Able to be autonomous, prioritize the work day, manage time, multitask and be detail oriented, even when workload is high
- Able and eager to learn in a fast-paced environment
- Capable of understanding and following written and verbal instructions, as well as taking direction from others well
- Able to enthusiastically create an excellent customer experience and team environment
- Motivated, and able to work both independently and as a member of a team, including handling a sense of urgency well
Blue Ridge Cyclery was founded in 2010 in Charlottesville, Virginia in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Owners Shawn and Jenny Tevendale share a love of cycling and wanted to create a shop that was accessible to all levels of riding. BRC offers a wide variety of high-quality bicycles and accessories to suit a range of cycling types and cyclist experience. BRC also provides expert mechanical service to keep bikes on the roads and trails as long as possible and is deeply committed to supporting and nurturing the local cycling community. BRC is one of the fastest growing bike shops in the region, most recently expanding into Warrenton with the acquisition of The Bike Stop. BRC is proud to offer their full-time employees (36 hours or more) with competitive pay, paid time off, and health and dental insurance. Shawn and Jenny, along with the whole BRC crew, foster a culture that values family, community and enjoying the great outdoors.